Inter-Departmental Exchange (IDX)
Registrations take place at different times depending on the department hosting the module, details are included on the module pages. Detailed instructions on eligibility will be issued by your home department.
Scheme for undergraduates
The first two or three years of your degree programme have given you firm foundations for a career in your chosen discipline. But twenty-first century engineers need much more.
Increasingly, the really ground-breaking innovations are generated when engineers work within inter-disciplinary teams and at the boundaries of their individual fields. The Inter-Departmental Exchange (IDX) scheme offers an opportunity to learn and use another specialist 'language'.
Your department has chosen a suitable subset of modules to offer through IDX. Along with your 'home' electives, these allow you to select a set which pushes the boundaries without becoming incoherent. You will need to check the pre-requisites for IDX courses against your own strengths, and read around the subjects. IDX course assessments are run and examinations marked, only by the host department.
The default exam dates for modules in 2022/23 are:
- Applications of Fluid Dynamics: morning of Friday 20 January 2023
- Autumn Term AM modules: morning of Thursday 4 May 2023
- Autumn Term PM modules: morning of Friday 5 May 2023
- Spring Term AM modules: morning of Thursday 11 May 2023
- Spring Term PM modules: morning of Friday 12 May 2023
For more information contact your department undergraduate office.
Autumn term 2022/23
- Application of fluid dynamics - AERO70006 / AERO97006
- Biomaterials for Bioengineers - BIOE70033 / BIOE96080
- Modelling multi-body systems - ELEC70022 / ELEC97108
- Optimisation - ELEC70024 / ELEC97109
- Nuclear materials I - MATE70019 / MATE97052
- Nuclear thermal hydraulics - MECH70001
Spring term 2022/23
- Human centred assistive and rehabilitation devices - BIOE60007 / BIOE97178
- Advanced tissue engineering - MATE70016
- Human neuromechanical control and learning - BIOE70016 / BIOE97178
- Nuclear chemical engineering - CENG60013
- Sustainable electrical systems - ELEC70035 / ELEC97110
- Advanced optimisation - ELEC70066
- Nuclear reactor physics - MATE70002
- Combustion - MECH 97086 / MECH97024