Our learning designers can help you redesign your formative and summative assessments, both digital and paper-based. We work in collaboration with you to design questions following current best practice and college guidance, matching them to your requirement and the best available platform for delivery and submission.
Digital platforms bring a variety of benefits for students and teaching staff:
- Pedagogic: instant feedback, active learning, increased engagement, support for collaborative learning, increasing practice opportunities
- Integrity: randomised questions to differentiate assessment, algorithmic options
- New possibilities: Embed videos, complex animations, visualisations of complex ideas, visual learning.
- Reusability: Once built each resource can be reviewed and reused each year, randomised questions mean students can retake the same assessment as revision without seeing the same questions
- Workload: Auto grading of a variety of question types (not just MCQ), VLE integration, learning analytics
Conversion from paper-based to digital assessments
We can support you in transferring your paper-based questions to work in online environments. We should not just be using digital platforms as a necessity in delivery. As part of a module or program level discussion we can offer:
- Project management of the design and delivery of the assessment(s) and constructively align with your learning outcomes.
- Help choosing the right online tool – we advise on the most suitable tools for your assessment. If required, we support the linking together of different tools to create a rounded and interactive student experience.
- Question design: we can support you in converting your question to work online. In our discussions with you we will share best practice advice from literature and college on designing your assessment.
- Advice to improve student experience: we oversee the build and delivery of your assessment and deploy effective quality assurance and testing processes. We have seen that this approach leads to a more seamless experience in the assessments we have supported.
For further information and support please visit our dedicated SharePoint pages.
Digital assessment tools
- Blackboard assignments - an assessment tool to receive and mark student work
- Blackboard tests/quizzes - an assessment tool to set a range of multiple choice-style questions on Blackboard
- Möbius - a platform for creating and deploying online STEM courses including lessons, interactive learning activities, hands-on exercises and assessments
- Panopto assignments - an assessment tool for receiving video assignment submissions (log in required)
- Turnitin - an assessment and marking tool, including a text matching report to deter plagiarism
- Feedback Fruits - a peer assessment collaboration tool which enables group peer assessment, peer to peer assessment and self-assessment to be carried out online