Software Hub is a web based tool which provides access to course specific software applications. Software Hub can be used from computers on campus, including cluster computers and staff computers, or from your own personal Windows device.
Instructions on how to use the Software Hub on your personal device can be found below. Please note you will be required to download the AppsAnywhere client to use the Software Hub. The majority of communal College computers will already be set up with the Software Hub.
Launching the Software Hub
When you login to a Windows 10 computer, the Software Hub will automatically load. If the Software Hub doesn’t load when you login, or you accidentally close it, then there is a shortcut on the desktop or in the Start Menu. Alternatively, you can load your favourite browser and navigate to the Software Hub. When first using the Software Hub it can take a little longer to launch an application. However, once the application has been used, most will then be quicker to launch.
If you can’t find an application on the Software Hub that you are expecting to use, please contact ICT and we will provision the application as quickly as possible.
Using the Software Hub on your own device
How to set up the Software Hub
The Software Hub allows, where license permits, Students and Staff to use applications on personal devices. In order to do this, you will need to do the following:
- Open a web browser and go to https://softwarehub.imperial.ac.uk/
- Log in with your College username and password
- You will then get diverted to the College log-in page and need to enter your username and password again.
- The Software Hub page opens
- Click on It’s my first time using AppsAnywhere on this device. Let’s go – to download the AppsAnywhere client – you only have to download this once
- Run the downloaded program and then accept all the defaults.
- AppsAnywhere will automatically launch and install the Cloudpaging player, if required.
- Go back to your web browser and on the Software Hub page click on Done.
- If prompted, click Allow to let your browser interact with the AppsAnywhere client.
- The AppsAnywhere client will open and, once validated, you are ready to launch applications from the Software Hub webpage.
- Hover over an application and click on Launch, Download or Visit Website.
- Your application is now installed and the next time you need to run it you can just find it on your Start menu.
The majority of software on the Software Hub is for Microsoft Windows only. ICT are working to ensure that applications in the Software Hub are available across all platforms
If the application you need to use isn't available, contact the ICT Service Desk who will arrange to have the requested application delivered (if license permits).
Why use the Software Hub?
- First and most importantly, it gives you access to software (license permitting) on your own device meaning you can be more flexible in how you work or study. This is particularly useful when College computing resources are unavailable.
- The Software Hub brings with it an “App Store” style self-service website. The website allows you to easily search for applications you need to use and launch them on-demand.
- Using the Software Hub allows the College to be more agile and responsive. ICT will be able to target applications to any device (subject to licensing and device capability), making the precious space we have on campus more adaptable.
- Finally, the Software Hub allows ICT to be more responsive to security threats that are discovered in applications by enabling a patch-once strategy.
I’ve removed an application. How do I get it back?
Re-add the application by going back to the software hub.
One of the applications I want to use isn’t working anymore. What should I do?
Why did I get a licence error when I launched an application?
Some applications require access to licence servers on the College network, so you must be on campus or connected to the network remotely to use them. You can do this by setting up a VPN connection with the college.
Why did I get a server error when I logged in?
Use your College username to login, not ic\<yourusername>.
Why doesn’t the Software Hub start when I turn on my computer?
It is likely that the settings have been amended. These can be found by going to File and then Options. Make sure that the Start Software Hub when Windows starts box is ticked. If Software Hub still fails to launch, applications will not be available via the Start Menu. If you’re still experiencing problems, contact the ICT Service Desk.