Accessing a shared calendar or a folder belonging to another user or resource
To access a shared calendar or a folder belonging to another user or resource, choose the appropriate software below and follow the steps.
- Resources are meeting rooms, equipment or other items with associated mailboxes.
- You only need to follow these instructions once.
- You must ensure that you have been given permissions to access the calendar or resources by the owner in advance. See creating a shared calendar.
- You must clarify the way to book meeting rooms or put appointments in calendars with the owner in advance, as there are multiple booking methods available (e.g. directly, by adding a resource to your calendar etc.).
Outlook for Windows
- Click on File, Open & Export and then select Other User’s Folder. A dialog box will appear.
- Click on the Name button in the dialog box and from the Global Address Book search for the user or resource (meeting room, equipment or other items with associated mailboxes) that you wish to find.
- Select OK and the full authenticated name will be returned to the dialog box.
- Choose the folder that you wish to open from the folder dropdown.
- Click OK. Your chosen item will then open, if you have correct access rights to the destination.
For shared calendars, the calendar account will appear in the list of Shared Calendars in the Calendar view in Outlook.
Outlook for Mac
- Click on File, Open and then select Other User’s Folder. A dialog box will appear.
- Type the name of the user or resource (meeting room, equipment or other items with associated mailboxes) that you wish to connect to in the dialog box and change the Folder Type to the relevant shared folder (Inbox or Calendar, etc.).
- Press Open. The shared resource will then open in the appropriate view in Outlook (Calendars will open in Calendar). The resource will also appear in the relevant Shared Folders or Shared Calendars section of the view on the left side of the Outlook window.
- Tick the calendar(s) that you wish to view in the case of shared calendar resources.