Organisation and time management
Embedding good organisation and timekeeping at an early stage in your studies and work-life will help you reduce stress and free up time for other activities.
The software mentioned below can help.
Microsoft Outlook and OneNote
Use them together to:
- Plot your schedule including lectures, seminars, study time and deadlines
- Manage your workload
- Prioritise tasks using to-do lists
- Set reminders
- Collate voice notes, images, text, checklists
- Label notes for easy reference and navigation
- Collaborate with others
- Export to Microsoft Word
- Use Optical Character Recognition (OCR)
- Synchronise across devices
More helpful videos:
- Outlook (Pt. 1): how do I access and set up Outlook?
- Outlook (Pt. 2): adding events, reminders, colour codes, and location
- Outlook (Pt. 3): managing work with tasks, event notes, and attachments
Strict Workflow helps increase concentration and discipline by temporarily blocking social and other time-wasting websites.
This web extension runs in the background blocking your chosen list of ‘blacklisted’ websites for 25 minutes to allow you to work without distraction. After 25 minutes it allows you a five-minute break. You choose which websites to add or remove from your list.
Strict Workflow is available for download from the Software Hub.
Notion is an all-in-one workspace that allows you to set up pages for all parts of life. It can be used to plan and track deadlines, store research, take notes and organise general life admin. It can be used as a web page, desktop or mobile app allowing you to synchronise across all of your devices. The Google chrome add-in can also be used to save useful websites to read later. Its collaborative feature can also be used to work on group projects and presentations.
Notion can be downloaded from the Software Hub
Ayoa is a digital workspace that incorporates mind maps, task boards, whiteboards along with instant messaging for simultaneous collaborative work. Assignments can be broken down into more manageable task lists with realistic time frames reducing stress. My planner allows you to break tasks down into ‘Now’, ‘Next’ & ‘Soon’ to help prioritise tasks.
Ayoa can be downloaded from the Software Hub.