Research and referencing
Referencing your reading in your work demonstrates that you have conducted a thorough and appropriate literature search. Reference management software helps you to record the details of the information you find and to generate lists of citations and a bibliography.
Your librarian can support you with using reference management tools.
Zotero [zoh-TAIR-oh] is a free, easy-to-use tool to help you collect, organize, cite, and share your research sources.
- Capture referencing data using ISBNs or DOIs
- Intelligent web browser add-on for digital resources
- Organise resources into different collections
- Microsoft Word add-in
- Generate citations in a huge variety of referencing styles
- Automatically generate bibliographies
- Export to EndNote and RefWorks
Zotero is available to download from the Software Hub.
More helpful videos:
- Zotero (Pt. 1) Adding references using a web browser connector
- Zotero (Pt. 2): installation, and adding books to your Zotero library
- Zotero (Pt. 3): pulling reference information from PDF files
- Zotero (Pt. 4): creating and editing reference records in Zotero
- Zotero (Pt. 5): filing and organisation in Zotero
- Zotero (Pt. 6): adding notes and tags, and quick bibliography export.
- Zotero (Pt. 7): using the Zotero for Word Plugin to add and edit citations
- Zotero (Pt. 8): editing your Zotero bibliography in Microsoft Word
- Zotero (Pt. 9): using Zotero online
Use ClaroCapture to capture text and images (including a clip of the whole screen and export to Word, PowerPoint and ClaroIdeas (Claro’s mind mapping program), or any other program using the clipboard, for project building.
Available from the Software Hub.
Weava is a highlighting tool for websites and PDFs. Once highlighted you can then organise these into folders and sub-folders, along with creating citations automatically for you for help with referencing. Multiple colours allow for full customisation and notes can be added to the highlighted text to remind yourself why it may be useful.
Available as a browser extension or app on iOS devices from the Software Hub.