Exchange distribution lists
An Exchange distribution list is:
- For internal addresses only, i.e. addresses present in the Global Address List
- Ideally suited for departmental groups
- Used to control access to resources such as shared folders and SharePoint sites
Create an Exchange distribution list
To create an Exchange distribution list, complete the Exchange Distribution list form on ASK.
Please note: It can take up to 6 hours to create a distribution list.
How to manage an Exchange distribution list
There are two ways to manage an Exchange distribution list, using the “Update DL” shortcut on Windows or using the online distribution list management web application.
Using the Update DL Distribution List shortcut (Windows only)
- Go to the Start Menu and select Update DL.
- Type the name of the mailing list in the Name field, press Find Now and select the correct one from the results
- Choose Add and enter the username of the person you wish to add to the list
- Press the Check Names button to verify
- Click OK and either click Apply to apply the change and keep the box open or click OK to close the box and apply the changes and exit
- Select the user you wish to remove and click Remove
- Press the Yes button when asked to confirm
- Click OK and click either Apply to apply the change and keep the box open or OK to close the box and apply the changes
I can’t find the Update DLs link in my Start Menu?
I can’t find the Update DLs link in my Start Menu
If you cannot find the Update DLs link in your Start Menu, follow these steps:
- Log in to a Windows machine connected to the College Active Directory
- Right-click on your desktop and select New and Shortcut
- Copy and paste the following line into the location and click Next: C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe dsquery.dll, OpenQueryWindow
- Give it a name and click Finish
- Double-click on the icon you have created on your desktop
- Type the name of the mailing list you wish to edit in the Name: field under the Users, Contacts, and Groups tab
- Select the correct result from the list and double-click on it to open it
Manage a distribution list online
The distribution list Management web application allows list owners to add and remove email addresses. Only permitted editors of the list will see the buttons allowing them to perform these actions.
You can view permitted editors under the “Group Editors” tab.
This web application is primarily for Mac and Linux users. We advise Windows users to use Update DLs from their Start menu.
Please note it will take around 2 hours for any changes to the list to be processed and be reflected in the address book.
- Go to the online distribution list management web application.
- Enter your username @ic.ac.uk (e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Click on the My Groups button to access the DL's you own and those that you are a member of.
- Click on search group to search for other DL's.