Here you will find the most commonly asked questions regarding email. 

For more help and support, please visit the Microsoft Outlook help and support webpages, or contact the ICT Service Desk

Accordion widget

My academic timetable isn't syncing correctly on Office 365. How do I fix it?

If your academic timetable is not synchronising correctly with the calendar in your Office 365 email account, it is likely to be due to a syncing issue.

Please visit our timetabling FAQ page for more information.

If the problem persists, log a request in ASK.

Why won't my email send to a particular internal recipient?

When you type an address in the Address field of a New, Reply or Forward Message in Microsoft Outlook, the dropdown list shows the addresses of people you have emailed before. For internal recipients on the Exchange server this list isn't linked to an email address, but to an Exchange link. So if the mailbox moves, the link can break and the email won't send.

To solve this problem, follow these steps:

  1. Highlight the name
  2. Press delete or click on the small cross
  3. Find the recipient again using the Address Book

How do I set up Online Archiving on Office 365?

See Backing up and recovering email pages on the How-to guides.

How do I search both my main mailbox and my archive mailbox at the same time?

Enter your search criteria and change the dropdown box to All Mailboxes.

How do I manage my mailing lists on Office 365?

Go to this page for instructions for creating and managing distribution or mailing lists.

How do I publish my calendar?

To publish your calendar, follow these steps:

  1. Go to your default calendar
  2. Click Publish Online then Publish This Calendar
  3. Login in to Office 365 using your College credentials
  4. Click on the gearwheel icon in the top right hand side of the window and select Options
  5. Select Publish Calendar under the Calendar heading
  6. Choose the calendar you'd like to share and the permissions you'd like to add then click Save. You will be provided with a link to share with your collaborators

Why are meeting rooms not displayed on Outlook Web Access?

Outlook Web Access (OWA) only shows the rooms available for the time you have selected. When you schedule a meeting, you will have the option to add all of the meeting rooms​ and view their availability.

My mobile device is asking me about Active Sync after reconfiguring my email settings. What do I do?

Accept the prompt. The connection settings are exactly the same as they were for Imperial’s old Exchange servers.  If you choose not to accept, your email software will not work properly.

How to request a role account or shared mailbox?

Only departmental contacts can request a new role account or shared mailbox. Find out who your departmental contact is.

Departmental contacts will need to fill in the shared mailbox or role account form. (Please note this form will only appear for departmental contacts.)

How do I request an email alias?

Complete and submit the Email alias request form. An email alias is an alternative email address which is linked to your main College mailbox.

How do a request a user account and email address for an external auditor?

Complete and submit the Username for external auditors form.

How do I extend the expiry date of my account?

To extend your account, you will need to first get in touch with your Departmental Contact. A full list of Departmental Contacts, Telecom Representatives and Departmental IT representatives can be found online. Please contact departmental contacts relevant for your section.

Guidance for Contacts

Permanent members of staff and fixed-term contracts

To extend an account for permanent members of staff or those with fixed-term contracts, get in touch with the Staff Hub using the contact details on their home page

Contingent worker accounts

To extend the end date of a contingent worker, use the ICIS HR system.

Student accounts

The ICT department does not have the authority to extend student accounts. Student account extensions are only considered for exceptional circumstances and need to be authorised by a personal tutor or course leader. The tutor or course leader should then get in touch with their departmental contact who can request a student account extension by submitting a request through ASK. Please contact ICT Service Desk who can assist you with this process.